Congressman Horsford Votes to Pass the Freedom to Vote: John R. Lewis Act
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, Congressman Steven Horsford (D-NV-04) voted to pass the Freedom to Vote: John R. Lewis Act, landmark legislation that will set national standards for voting access to guarantee the freedom to vote, prevent voter suppression, and ensure safe, secure, and accessible elections for all.
“As state governments launch all-out assaults on the freedom to vote, Congress has a moral responsibility to act,” said Congressman Steven Horsford. “The Freedom to Vote: John R. Lewis Act is a common-sense bill to prevent voter suppression, protect our elections from foreign interference, and stop the politicization of the voting process. With the eyes of the world watching, the Senate must seize the moment and bring this bill to President Biden’s desk."
The Freedom to Vote: John R. Lewis Act will:
- Expand automatic voter registration and same-day registration
- Set a national standard for no-excuse vote by mail for every eligible voter
- Protect against unlawful and faulty voter purges while allowing states to accurately maintain their voter registration lists
- Expand early voting by requiring states to offer early voting at least two weeks prior to Election Day
- Enhance protections individuals with disabilities
- Make Election Day as a national holiday
- Provides standards for voter identification, which require uniform national standard for states that require identification for in-person voting and allows voters to present a broad set of identification cards and documents in hard copy and digital form.
- Prevent partisan election subversion by restricting the politicized removal of election officials and enhance the protections for election records, including ballots and voting systems
- Prohibit the dissemination of false and misleading information designed to dissuade eligible voters from casting a ballot Improve election security by requiring post-election audits and voter verifiable paper records of a votes
- Protect elections from foreign interference
- End partisan gerrymandering
- Promote digital ad transparency
- Force disclosure of dark money and;
- Establish a self-sustaining democracy trust fund to support state-directed democracy promotion activities.
In addition, this bill contains the John R. Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, which restores critical protections of the Voting Rights Act. The bill also includes the Native American Voting Rights Act, which protects the rights of Native Americans to vote while addressing barriers to voting on tribal lands.
Geneva Kropper | firstname.lastname@example.org | 202-849-0251